By Anna Fishman and Angela Serritella
Happy February 72nd!
What??!? Yes, that’s what it feels like here in New Jersey – it’s been one super long winter and it doesn’t feel like April yet. It’s cold outside and no one wants to leave the house because they are afraid to get sick. Many of us who want to get away somewhere warm are still afraid to get on a plane because everyone else is coughing, sneezing and spreading the germs.
I teamed up with Dr. Angela Serritella, Naturopathic Doctor to bring to you some tips on how to avoid getting sick while traveling and what to do if you catch a bug on the road (or at home!).
– Get enough sleep and rest. When traveling, we are always on the go, rushing from place to place. Take the time to sit down and relax and get to bed at a reasonable time. You need sleep so that the body can restore itself.
– Make healthy choices while traveling – eat more fruits and veggies that are high in flavonoids (tea, citrus fruit, citrus fruit juices, berries, red wine, apples, and legumes) which are strong antioxidants that can help us fight the oxidative stress and free radicals (free radicals can destroy the immune system and DNA) that are in the body.
– Stay active by walking, try some meditation and yoga in a peaceful setting like the beach or even by a flowing river.
– Limit your alcohol and sugar intake – this doesn’t mean you can’t have any alcohol or sugar while on vacation but keep your meals balanced by choosing healthier choices when possible. And stay hydrated!
– Take your vitamins – we often forget to take our vitamins while we are traveling, but we need to stick to our routine to keep our immune system strong.
– Wash your hands – make sure to keep your hands clean and keep them away from your face and mouth. Especially when in contact with germs from the airplane, other passengers, hotel rooms, doors, etc…
– Essential oils are great for killing germs- and they are also easy to travel with. If you have a travel diffuser, you can diffuse essential oils in your hotel room to get rid of the germs that are in the air.
So what can you do if you still catch a bug? Here are some helpful tips on how to get better fast:
– Activated charcoal absorbs microbial toxins and it can slow down diarrhea.
– Herbs with antimicrobial properties:
1. Echinacea has immune-boosting effects to help you recover faster.
2. Ginger is great for nausea, stomach upset, pain relief, soothes sore throats and helps with respiratory health, and car and sea sickness.
3. Clove is an amazing essential oil and herb. It can treat coughs and sore throats, and it is anti-bacterial. It can also help kill intestinal parasites, boost the immune system, and so much more… It can serves as a great bug repellent, too!
4. Oregano oil can help you overcome infections of any kind and is one of the most powerful essential oil.
5. Peppermint is antiviral, antimicrobial, antiseptic, decongestant, antifungal, antioxidant, and analgesic. It helps with respiratory health, gut health, and even putting a few drops on your wrist or inhaling the aroma can reduce headache pain.
– Aloe Vera- it’s great for intestinal infections and can help soothe the gut wall and promote healing and a faster recovery.
– Manuka Honey- it can help with travelers’ diarrhea.
There are so many more remedies that can help you have a safe and healthy trip. Feel free to reach out to us with any questions that you may have!
If vacation planning overwhelms you, we are here to help! Book your free travel planning session today!
For more travel ideas, inspiration, tips and a really cool group of people who love to talk travel – join our Facebook Group – Perfect Vacation Travel Club
Dr. Angela Serritella received her degrees as a Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.), Nutritional Therapist (N.T.P.), Certified Nutrition Specialist (C.N.S.), and a Certified Aromatherapist (C.A.); with over 15 years of experience in the nutrition field. She believes in addressing the whole person and not just the underlying symptoms and/or disease. A wholesome diet and a healthy lifestyle are the most important part in improving and restoring your complete health and wellness. You can learn more about Dr. Angela at – www.completewellnesswithin.com
If vacation planning overwhelms you, we are here to help with custom trip planning!
Book your free travel planning session with our five-star reviewed travel agency.
For more travel ideas, inspiration and tips – follow us on Instagram